Monday, April 7, 2014

Musical Memories

   Once, someone told me that we can't remember things until we're 3 years old. I didn't believe that, so I started thinking back to my very first memory. Interestingly enough, the first real memory I have was of my 3rd birthday.
   My birthday is exactly 6 days after my Grandma's birthday. When I turned 3, she was turning 60. I remember that we had planned a really awesome surprise birthday party for her. We had invited a lot of her friends, and most of her family was going to be there.We had sort of tricked her into coming down from Houston by inviting her to my birthday.
   Here's the thing about my Grandma. She's awesome. Like, seriously, I've got one of the best Grandma's in the world. She's beautiful externally, but internally, she's even more than beautiful; she's radiant.
   Something that's really cool about Grandma is that she writes songs. She wrote a song for each of her grandkids when they were born and she writes others just to filter her emotions into something. That's one of the beautiful things about music. You can filter so much into it.
   My Grandma wrote this song called "Alphabeta". It's probably my favorite song of hers (other than the one she wrote for me, of course! :P). This song is all about phonics and how, by learning to read, we become smarter. It's a super cute song, and my big sister and I had decided that our present to my Grandma would be us performing it. We practiced singing and dancing to it for days, trying to perfect it.
   When the day of the parties arrived, I was so excited that my Grandma was coming to my party, and I was even more excited about surprising my Grandma! I remember how hard it was for little me to keep such a big secret.
   You know, the funny thing is, I barely remember any details from her party, and I remember only a few things from mine. The thing I remember the most from that day was my sister and I performing "Alphabeta" for my Grandma. I remember the rush of joy that I felt when my Grandma clapped and said that that had been the best present she had received.
   Thinking back, I realize how lucky I am to have that as my very first memory. I mean, think about that! My first memory involved three of my favorite things: my Grandma, music and birthday parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment