Friday, April 4, 2014

This Whole Catholic Music Situation

   There is this feeling that I always get when I stumble across a song or band that I love. It's literally a feeling that I cannot explain. My heart starts pumping, I start smiling like a crazy person, and my brain starts working over time as I try to figure out what exactly is making me so excited. It's like an adrenaline high for a music junky. My friend Sabrina likes to describe this feeling as me, "loosing my ability to even."
   So what/who exactly gave me this feeling, made me rush home from a concert and jump on my computer, break my blogging schedule and kept me up until I finish praising their music? Well, this can be answered in two (three?) words.
   PawnShop kings.
   I had the privilege of going to a Matt Maher concert with my youth group. For those of you who don't know, Matt Maher is a Catholic musician who writes fantastic songs and honestly has a beautiful voice. I was super stoked to be able to attend his concert with some of my closest friends.
   When we got there, we clapped and danced as Matt played his upbeat, feel good songs. We were so pumped up and happy to be there with all of our brothers and sisters in Christ. I honestly was blown away by Matt's musical skill and his ability to connect with the audience in the way that he did. As an aspiring musician myself, it truly fascinated me.
   Then, Mr. Maher asked us to all sit down. Now, you can imagine how hard it really is to force yourself to sit down when you're feeling as good as we all were. However, after a small struggle, we all found our seats. Matt then explained to us that he had some special guests with him, and introduced the PawnShop kings.
   The PawnShop kings are two brothers, Scott and Joel Owen, who were born in Texas, but spent most of their time growing up in Memphis and now reside in Orange Country, California. They explained to us that they are also Catholic musicians and that they were going to play a few of their songs. We all nodded our heads in agreement, too excited to object to anything.
   As they started to play, I felt myself start smiling. I was at a loss for words. Their voices...the music...the lyrics...the inflection in their voices...the beautiful harmonies...it was all too much. I started to bob my head to the music and then eventually stood up, joining everyone else as we clapped and wished desperately that we knew the words to their songs. After listening to them play, I couldn't even think about anything else. The only thing I could do was replay the music in my mind.
   After the concert, my friends and I actually got to meet them. We got a picture with them, and I even got Scott to sign a book I had in my purse, since I had nothing else that was sign-able. On the way home, they were all I could talk about and when I got to my house, I rushed to the computer so that I could type this up.
   I really encourage any of you who are reading this to go check out the PawnShop kings and Matt Maher. Honestly, this music could change the way you think about everything. I literally mean everything I'm saying right now. They were amazing. I'm going to be leaving links below to my favorite songs that they performed. I hope you are as moved by them as I was!
   Brigid


PawnShop kings~ Fall Apart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgR9flxuD6o

Matt Maher~ All The People Said Amen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnOA3HN_4EY

PawnShop kings Official Website
http://www.pawnshopkings.com/

Matt Maher Official Website
http://www.mattmahermusic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment